Badsworth: A Village Through Time
Have you ever wondered how old the Church is, or what the St Mary's Centre was used for? Exactly who is the Lawson Hut named after? What did the village look like 100 years ago, or even just back in the 1960s? These, and many more questions, are answered in a new book which has just been compiled and published, which traces the history of the village since the Domesday Book in 1086.
The book is not a history text book and is intended to give an overview of how the village has evolved over the last 1000 years to provide insights in to some of its famous residents, historic buildings and social development. The series of short chapters look at a variety of topics from school life since the 1880s, village life in WW1, the church and even the story of an infamous murder. In compiling the book I have used as many photographs as possible including comparing views of the village in the early 1900s and the modern day.
The book, which is printed in colour and contains 96 pages, is available to buy at £10 per copy from Anita Cook. The book is published privately and all profits from its sale go to charity. So far sales have supported the following charities:
Macmillan Cancer Support
Yorkshire Air Ambulance
Prince of Wales Hospice
Badsworth Church restoration.
If you would like a copy or would like to take a closer look before purchasing, please contact Anita Cook (the author) at email@example.com.
Preview extracts from the book below.
The History of the Hall and Grange
At the moment information is very sketchy on the Hall but we have some notable dates and residents.
In 1653 the forfeited Manor of Badsworth was purchased by Sir John Bright, after Parliament sequestered it from the Dolman family during the Civil War, for £8600. The hall became his principal residence, he was appointed Sheriff of Yorkshire 1654 - 1656.
He died on 13th September 1688 and was "buried with great pomp in the Chancel of Badsworth Church" on 21st September, there is a wall monument in Badsworth Church paying tribute to him.
The Sir John Bright Monument in the Church
According to the 1852 census the Hall was the residence of Joseph Scott Esq.
The famous architect John Carr (Born in York, lived in Horbury, married in Featherstone) was associated with the building, renovating, extending or demolishing many buildings - public, churches, bridges and domestic throughout Yorkshire and the Country as a whole and his last great unfinished work was the San Antonio's hospital in Oporto Portugal.
He was the Lord Mayor of York in 1770 and 1785 and died, unmarried in 1807 leaving property worth between £150,000 and £200,000. Unfortunately all we can find in the records is that he demolished Badsworth Hall in 1780!
As the last Hall was described as Georgian (1730 - 1800), we assume the Hall was built shortly after this demolition.
Badsworth Hall - earliest picture we have
The Hall in 1926
The seat of power in the village was Badsworth Hall which was demolished in the late 1940s
The last Lord of the Manor was Richard Heywod Jones, who purchased the Manor in the 1850s, and his family is much in evidence in the Church. Richard himself was killed by lightning whilst at camp with the local militia in Harrogate in 1900, he left a widow and daughters.
The Crest of Richard Heywood Jones
All the Daughters married men who had estates in their own right so, on the death of his widow in 1926 the Badsworth estate was broken up and auctioned off
The Estate was described in the Sale Catalogue as:-
Comprising the picturesque old Georgian Mansion
with Modern conveniences
10 Dairy Farms
Important Building Sites
and the greater part of the Village of Badsworth
amounting in all to about
At one time the Hall was connected to the "Bothy" - Weavers cottages - by an iron bridge.
Rumour has it that this fell down as a cart passed under shaking the foundations, the remains of these are still visible on the lane. The original cottages have been converted into "The Cottage", an extremely attractive property.
After the Sale, Major Holliday lived in the Hall before renting and eventually buying Copgrove Hall in 1936
The present building bearing the name is in fact the original entrance to the drive up to the Hall and consisted of the archway and stables, this is now a Grade II listed building.
The original entrance and the hall today
Badsworth Hall is mentioned in "God's Good Man - A Simple Love Story" by Marie Corelli.
It was the home of "Sir Morton Pippitt"
The site of the Hall is now occupied by the houses of Badsworth Court.
Badsworth Grange standing on Back Lane was built for Richard Heywood's unmarried sisters.
Early pictures of the Grange
Around 1940 Mr E.C Hamilton-Russell, a director of the Netherton Coal Company (Newcastle), was resident at the Grange and subsequently listed after 1947 (Nationalisation of the Coal Industry) as living in Hexham.