About Badsworth Village
Badsworth is a village and civil parish in the City of Wakefield Metropolitan District in West Yorkshire, England.
According to the 2001 census it had a population of 583, increasing to 682 at the 2011 census. The village is located 6 miles south of the market town of Pontefract and has excellent transport links being close to the A1 and M62 as well as having good rail links via nearby stations.
The name Badsworth has its roots in Old English and is listed in the Domesday Book as Badesuude, meaning Bades’ enclosure.
The village focal points are the School, Church and two village halls.
Badsworth is described by writer David Gerrard, in ‘The Hidden Places of Yorkshire’, as “a jewel, a delightful village of old houses and mature trees.”
Part of the village is designated as a Conservation Area and it is proud of its history. For those of us who are privileged enough to call it home, the village provides an oasis of peace and tranquillity in an otherwise hectic world.
The history of Badsworth
Domesday book to the 21st Century
In common with most villages, Badsworth has existed since before 1086. It is listed in the Domesday Book as Badesuurde meaning Bades or Baedi's enclosure.."In Badesuurde, Uttone and Rugartorp two brothers had 9 carucates and 5 bovates of land for gold where 6 ploughs can be............
A church is there and a priest and one and a half acres of meadow. Pasturable woodland one leuga in length and three furlongs in bredthe"
This seems to indicate an Anglo Saxon settlement with open fields....